Historical Society describes Kilninian,
built in 1755, as ‘one of the oldest (churches),
and until very recently, still used for
worship. Possibly standing on the site of an
earlier medieval church, it first appears in
the records of 1561, where it is stated that
the parsonage of ‘Keilnoening’ had formerly
belonged to the Abbot of Iona.’
The more recent history of
the church includes the few years when Fr
Stephen and his small community tried to
found a Catholic monastery around Kilninian.
When they changed their plans and moved
instead to mainland Scotland, they very
generously donated the church to the
Orthodox Church, under condition that
Kilninian would still be used as the home of
a monastic community.
For over two years, Kilninian
was taken care of by sister Marina, who also
lived there for many months between 2010 and
At the present moment, with
the blessing of His Eminence Metropolitan
Joseph, we have started the necessary work
in order to turn Kilninian into the first
Orthodox Monastery in the Hebrides. This
includes restoration work for the church
itself and building work for a small number
of new cells for the future monastics.
It was also decided that the
Monastery Chapel will remain dedicated to
Saints Ninian and Cuthbert, and that it will
be a monastery for nuns.