1. Any place may
become a place of Resurrection, if the Humility
of Christ becomes the way of our life.
2. You may sleep, as long as you are in a state
3. There are some who stay awake for a few, and
some who stay awake for all.
4. Orthodox spirituality is knowledge acquired
through suffering rather than through learning.
5. Do not wish for many things, whether they are
within or out of reach. Instead, take care to
sanctify the little you have.
6. To learn how to love God: this is the one and
7. There is nothing cheaper than money.
8. Better Hell in this world than in the other.
9. It is not what we say, but what we live. It
is not what we do, but what we are.
10. I put on the Rasson (Monastic habit) and I
do not speak unless I am asked. The Rasson
11. If you have love for all the world, the
whole world is beautiful.
12. Someone said that a Christian is he who
purifies love and sanctifies work.
15. Our purpose should be to have the Paraclete
in our heart, even when we have the... Parasite
in our head.
16. We become a reflection of Heaven by saying:
'Thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven'.
17. He who loves is not aware of it, as he is
not aware of his own breathing.
18. When doors are open in Heaven, they are also
open on Earth.
19. When the mind is not distracted by worldly
matters and remains united to God, then even the
'Good day' that we say becomes a blessing.
20. By saying 'no' and by refusing, we forfeit
21. We must not 'exist' in the presence of the
other person, who is God's 'image and likeness'.
22. In the early steps of our life we need the
presence of someone we love. As we advance, the
One, God, fills us with His Love and Joy so much
that we no longer need anyone. The soul does
this at the beginning because she does not know
yet Whom she loves, and thinks it is this or
23. Many times what God expects from us is the
intention rather than the act itself. Our
readiness to follow His Commandment is enough
24. Jesus Christ gave us the golden mean: both
alone and with others.
25. When God created us, He gave us Life and
breathed His Spirit into us. This Spirit is
Love. When love deserts us, we become as dead as
corpses. We are not alive any more.
26. A Christian must have reverence for the
Mystery of Existence in everyone and everything.
27. To reach the state of non-existence, love
and love and love until you identify yourself
completely with the Other One, whoever this may
be at the time. Then, at the end of the day you
may ask yourself: Is there anything I want? No.
Is there anything I wish 'No. Is there anything
I lack' No... So, that's it!
28. The spiritually advanced person is the one
who has reached a state of "non-existence" and
has deeply understood that whatever happens to
him is either because God Wills it or because
God Permits it.
29. True inner progress begins only when a
person stops reading anything but the Gospel. It
is only then that, united with God through the
Jesus Prayer, he can hear God's Will.
30. Never wish for anything but the Will of God
and accept with love any trials that may come
31. Never identify a person with the wrong way
in which he is treating you, but see Christ in
32. Never ask: "Why has this happened to me"
'When you see somebody suffering from gangrene
or cancer or blindness, never say: "Why has this
happened to him"' Instead, pray God to grant you
the vision of the other shore... Then, like the
Angels, you will be able to see things as they
really are: Everything in God's plan.
33. A wise man said: If you are to live only for
yourself, it would have been better if you had
not been born.
36. A person's most vulnerable spot is found in
much talking and discussing.
37. To be meek is to wish never to have a guilty
38. When thoughts of passing judgment on another
person cross your mind, pray God to take them
away at once, so that you may love this person
as He does. Then God will help you see your own
faults. If Christ were visible, could you have
39. If you do not like somebody, think that you
see Christ in that person. Then, you would not
even dare utter a word of criticism.
40. We must love people and accept them in our
hearts as God presents them to us. It has been
thus ordained by the Lord Himself and by the
41. No one should become the servant of another
man. We are only servants of God. 'For ye are
bought with a price', says the Apostle
(1Cor.6:20). Therefore, there should be no
servility in human relations.
42. What we say remains in Eternity.
43. Only when you are perfected in Love can you
reach the state of Dispassion (Apatheia).
44. Only those who act without true love face
45.The faculty of judgment (Krisis) comes
naturally to man. Criticism (Katakrisis) and
reproval spring from malice. Discernment (Diakrisis)
is a gift from God and we should pray for it. It
is essential to our protection and progress.
46. The life of the Church extends beyond moral
discipline and religious duty. It is the
transcendence of Morality to Spirituality.
47. An irresolute person does not participate in
48. When we must be helped, God will send
someone to us. We are all fellow-travellers.
49. The voice of God is silence.
50. Whoever lives in the Past is like a dead
man. Whoever lives in the Future in his
imagination is naive, because the Future belongs
to God. The Joy of Christ is found only in the
Present, in the Eternal Present of God.
51. Our destination is to worship God and love
52. We find happiness and peace only by living
according to God's Commandments.
53. The most essential act of Philanthropy is to
speak well of our fellow-men.
54. I could not get worried, even if I tried.
When we worry it is as if we say to God: "I do
not agree. You don't do things right". Besides,
this is sheer ingratitude.
55. To speak in the presence of Beauty is
superfluous. It disturbs its harmony.
56. Through the invocation of the name of
Christ, we batter our Ego.
57. It is the oil-lamp of our soul that must be
always lighted, burning forever.
58. We are the first to feel the joy we give to
59. Better a prayer of the lips than no prayer
60. Let God intervene between you and your
purpose, instead of letting your purpose
intervene between you and God.
61. The agony of dying is the effort made by the
soul to free herself and run towards the Lord.
62. Correspondence is the only way that combines
solitude and company.
63. Miracle is the normal course of events
according to God's Will. What we call a Miracle
is only what is natural to God.
65. If we meet with an adversity, let us not ask
who is to blame. Because the blame is only ours.
We shall find the reason if we ask for it in our
Prayer: perhaps we have not loved enough, or we
have disobeyed another Commandment, or we have
mishandled the situation, or we have moved
faster than we should, or we have relied on the
66. When we lose something, let us say: 'In this
manner, Lord, deliver me also from any evil
thought I may have for my neighbour'.
67. Anxiety is for those who have no Faith.
68. Love is only on the Cross.
69. Human relationships become difficult when
the "I" stands above the "You".
70. God loves your enemies as much as He loves
71. Do you want to Pray? Prepare yourself to
meet the Lord in secret.
72. By God's Permission some people become
instruments of the Power of Darkness for our own
testing and progress.
73. You must not get upset, because a restless
heart drives away all Help.
74. If one can live in the world and yet not mix
with it - just as the oil and water do not mix
in the oil-lamp - then he can live in God. He is
in this world but not of this world.
75. We are all vessels, sometimes of Light and
sometimes of Darkness.
76. Keep your mouth shut in the hour of crisis,
when a problem is acute. Do not say anything,
because you may regret it a thousand times.
Instead, tell it to the Angels so that they may
place it at the Lord's Feet, and pray the Lord
for an Angel of Peace to calm your soul.
77. Sometimes people ask for your advice or
instruction, so that they may put the "blame" on
you afterwards if things go wrong. Quite
probably though, whatever you say will be
ignored, in which case it will all be a waste of
78. When the 'I' breaks and becomes 'You' and
the 'You' also breaks so that they may both
become 'He', then we all become 'His'.
79. If you ever feel fear in your heart, close
your eyes and say the Jesus Prayer: 'Lord Jesus
Christ have mercy upon me'...
80. Only when we are still, do we give the
Angels an opportunity to do something.
81. Do what you must do, and God will do what He
82. When you feel a fluttering in your heart, a
deep yearning for something, this will come true
after a lapse of time determined by God.
83. We ourselves cannot get rid of any of our
faults. He takes them away from us, one by one.
84. We should ask God everyday to break our will
and make it His, so that we may become as He
wants us to be.
85. We must not 'surrender' to His Will. This is
what soldiers do. We, who are His Children, must
offer Him our own will along with all our being
- in whatever pitiful state we may be - and tell
him: "Lord, take all my faults and imperfections
and set them right."
86. The Grace of God comes when we raise our
hand. It is Faith that draws God's Grace to us.
God is 'pouring down' His Grace, but where is
the hand reaching out to receive it? Instead, we
are wearing hats or carrying umbrellas...
87. If a foreigner speaks evil of Greece and the
Orthodox Faith, do not identify the man with his
words. Still, never speak to him about such
significant events like the discovery of Holy
Relics and other miraculous things that happen
88. You must not talk about persons who are
89. We live in Vanity, and believe that this is
life. How pitiable we are!
90. O Lord! Forgive us if we sometimes walk in
pride, like little cockerels that think they are
91. Poor human beings! We consider the
perishable as Immortal and the Immortal as non-existant.
92. Poor onion! It also offers what it can.
93. How beautiful is the 'Mystery', the
'Sacrament' of Tomorrow!
94. A person takes his lesson only once. If he
does not learn the first time, it means that
there is something wrong in his subconscious
which prevents him from doing so.
95. The Lord said: Whoever wants something,
believing, he will receive - As long as the
request is in accordance with God's
Commandments, that is to say, with Love.
96. Do not deny others the crumbs falling off
your table from the Bread of Life which is given
to you whole by the Lord. So many hunger and
thirst for Love, like Lazarus who fed on the
crumbs falling off the table of the rich man.
97. We have no right not to reflect the Light of
the Lord. Nothing should be left in the shade,
'under the meal-tub'.
98. Everything has two sides, like a two-edged
knife. What creates today, destroys tomorrow.
'Let him understand, he who may understand'.
99. Some of the sailors on a ship may quarrel
and fight each other, but the ship sails on and
reaches its destination. The same is true of the
Church, because Christ Himself is at the helm.
100. If you knew that you are not Here, you
would be There.
101. Love alone is
enough to make a miracle happen. Neither Prayer
nor the Komboskini (Prayer rope) have such
102. Experience has taught me that no one can
help anyone, no matter how strong his wish and
love may be. Help comes only in the Hour of God,
from the One.
105. We are useful only when we do not exist for
ourselves. And vice versa.
106. We must not take decisions on behalf of
others. We should leave this to the Angels for
they always find the best solution.
108. Like Simon of Cyrene, we must be always
ready to rush to the help of our fellow-man.
109. If you seek assistance from someone who is
busy, he will do it for you, not the indolent
and the lazy.
110. Woe to me if I do not love.
111. Three things are needful. First Love,
Second Love, Third Love.
112. The fasting of a diet is so easy when one
wants to slim. And so difficult is the Wednesday
and Friday fast when the Church wants it.
113. In the Church we should always sit in the
same place, for the Angels.
114. After the Liturgy, we should sit in the
Church so long as we can, for the Angels
115. When we are talking and someone interrupts
us, we should not continue. It means that he
should not hear that which we would have said.
The Angels do thus.
116. He who does not want to see anybody is not
117. Nowhere are we ‘forever'. (We are never
118. Whatever happens to us is only our own
119. Every morning, on the new page we open, we
sign the blank. Whatever God wills, let Him
write. (Every morning open a new page and put
your signature on the blank. Whatever God wants,
let Him write.)
120. When we pray we should lock our door.
125. If you do not reach the point of despair,
you will never see the Light.
136. Be still and know...There is no greater
school than this kind of stillness of the mind.
137. The only true joy is freedom from worry.
138. Just as you cannot get very close to the
sources of great rivers because of the noise of
the waters, and you cannot talk or hear, so you
cannot get close to the source of life and love,
which is God. And only from a distance can you
receive the warmth, the energy, the power and
the "water" which He gives you, to conduct it in
139. Like a little bird who, when the branch he
is standing on breaks, doesn't worry but opens
his wings and flies, so our faith and hope in
God give us the strength and joy to fly when the
twig breaks beneath our feet.
140. The more closed is the door of our cell,
the more open the gate of heaven.
141. The body needs "terrorism". It is the only
142. When somebody sets out to spoil our joy, we
should remember within ourselves that God loves
143. You should be with people as you are with
Christ; just as if He were present, and then you
will not get upset about anything or with
144. The more we take things and problems to
heart, the more we show our pride and lack of
145. Someone truly humble does not get upset,
because whoever gets upset starts off with
judgement, with condemnation and rebellion.
146. The libraries and lecture halls are always
full; but what saint has ever come from them?
147. Our intellectual cultivation is done in the
heart. That is an intellectual person. Not
somebody educated, as many think.
148. There is something called Christian
self-respect. Because the Christian knows that
he is a brother of the Prince of Glory and a son
of the Father. Because of this it is not allowed
in his presence for others to talk in an
unseemly way or to condemn people present or
149. God our Father Himself takes us by the hand
and takes us to testing. For our purification
and perfection. That is why God the Son has
taught us to pray to Him, "and lead us not into
150. Christ said to us: Go and make disciples of
all nations. And we - hushing up - what do we
151. If you love the Lord, then you have
patience towards His will. If however you have
patience without love, then you are like a
soldier of Hitler's. Nothing more.
152. Condemnation, mockery, contempt, hypocrisy,
saying "Yes, but..." - these are the weapons of
the weak man who has failed in what he wanted to
do in his life and his destination before God.
153. Our Lord gave as an example of freedom from
care, not people but the birds of heaven.
154. When you don't seek anything, and when
whatever God gives you, you give it all away...
that is love.
155. When we ask somebody to pray for us to
obtain such and such a virtue, we should also
pray the same, for in this case, our prayer is
156. We need patience under the darts of the
evil one, persistence in the breaking of our
ego, and submission to the holy will of God.
Only with these can we progress.
157. Never take part in a discussion where
someone is being condemned or even simply
158. Often His will does not seem to us either
just, or convenient or pleasant. But when we see
that behind this is a mountain, the mountain of
His love, then we see that things could only
have been thus; harmonized in God.
159. The greater your faith in the heavenly, the
less you get upset about the earthly.
160. What makes us upset is the sense of wrong
that we have when we think we have been wronged.
But what we see as wrong, God regards as the
greatest school for the progress of our souls.
161. Never rely on something somebody tells you.
Find out for yourself.
162. We must know when to be quiet, and when to
leave where we are.
163. The more we discuss something that happens,
the more it stays in our lives, whereas in the
normal course of events it would leave at the
164. When I have Christ as my head, how can I
put my head under a human head?
165. In the Bible you will not find the word
166. Do not discuss with anyone anything not
related to God, and you will always be quiet.
167. Better to be dumb than stupid.
168. When we say that somebody is "sensitive",
this means he suffers because his ego is hurt
and because he is proud. The same happens with
children, who as soon as somebody scolds them or
opposes them, immediately start crying. This is
not permissible for a person of God. The saints
didn't have pride, and whatever people did to
them they accepted it because they had humility
and meekness. In this case the soul is not
"sensitive", is not offended; it has love,
169. When I am united with Christ, who will
separate me? Is there another person? Only
somebody outside of here... in which case let
him stay where he is!
170. Illness always comes along with spiritual
experiences to a person who is in a position to
171. We all think that we are right. That is why
we think that all our deeds are rightly done.
But unfortunately, just as the Truth is One, so
also the Right is One... but we are not in a
position to discern.
172. If we don't stumble, we don't progress. We
should thank God that we don't break an arm or a
leg into the bargain.
173. If you want to do something, don't
advertise it. It will "materialize" in words and
will no longer need to materialize in reality
too. Keep it secret until the last moment - from
174. We should every day be spectators of the
miracles of God.
175. When you spontaneously say something about
God, this is from God. On the other hand when it
becomes "preaching", then it is the ego leading
the way. In the first case the seed catches, in
the second it does not.
176. Where there is no respect for the person,
there is none for God either. And the other way
177. If people had two things, readiness for
change and "yes" to that spiritual person who
loves them and who they trust, then the blessing
of God would come upon them. This is why
wherever there is obedience, God's blessing
comes and the miracle happens.
178. After obedience there comes, at the time
appointed by God, direction from above.
179. The most powerful prayer is the Epiclesis
(Invocation) of the Holy Liturgy.
180. We cannot have one foot here and the other
there. God wants us whole. So when we say that
we belong to God and that we love Him, how can
we and how dare we not be a hundred per cent
181. Only on His own does the Lord bring blows.
So that they wake up and become conscious and
182. He who does not lose, does not find.
183. Love is a bomb that destroys all evil.
184. Never say that it is too late, even if you
have fallen very low...
185. We should always say "Thank God for our
existence." Thank God for the existence of the
other. This is the true thanksgiving God wants.
186. We must guard against the feeling of
187. Never let the other understand that he has
188. When we have doubt about some stance that
we ought to take, we should ask our conscience,
not only ourselves. And always take the position
of the other.
189. We must never betray the truth which we
feel in ourselves. Not for anybody. Not for any
situation. Perhaps that is why you see me here
today and there tomorrow. But rather than betray
the voice of God within me, I prefer to be
homeless and a beggar.
190. Never leave anywhere of your own accord.
No, no, no! If the other does not drive you
away, don't leave.
191. If I had the possibility I would do special
"caprices" to whoever doesn't have means... Not
192. The other day a lady asked me what would
happen with the 'toll booths' after death. I
said to her, " I will tell them the Light of
Christ shines to All! You however are in
darkness and I don't see you!"
193. The over-aged and the under age have the
same problem in this world... As soon as you
pass a certain age, they tell you: "Ah, now he
will fall ill and what are we going to do -
shall we treat him? Don't move, don't do this,
don't do that." Just for their own sake, so that
they don't have to treat you. Not for yours!
194. The greatest part of my prayer here and for
years now is Thankgiving. What else should I
ask, when I have everything?
195. It is not the Abbot's fault when he is
strict. It is the fault of our own conscience.
Because whatever fearful sin we may have
committed, we have to tell it. On the other hand
when the Ego in capital letters holds us back,
the other gets strict.
196. He who honours somebody else, is
essentially honouring Christ who is in him. That
is how it works. And when we ourselves give
others an honour or a position, we are really
honouring the Lord who we have within us and who
every person has.
197. Whatever you eat and whatever you drink
after the Table, make the sign of the cross over
it and say to yourself, "For healing of soul and
198. Even if personally we have no sorrow of our
own, we see the sorrow in the world and sorrow
over it. But if people do not have faith we
cannot do anything.
199. God put the senses in the head. Why? Do you
know? So that we can not see ourselves. Yes! So
that we see only the other and love only the
other. And so that we see ourselves only in the
eyes of the Other.
200. You should have continual conversation with
your guardian angel. About everything.
Especially in difficulties and when you cannot
get across to someone. He always helps.
201. Two things
are very important... "Love one another," and
"Fear not, only believe."
202. Saint Paul himself says, "After one or two
admonitions, give up." Finish! You have said
what you ought, you have helped the person as
much as you have been able. From that point on,
you pray for him and sit quietly and look at
your own wretchedness.
203. In the end we have been teaching the
universe, while leaving ourselves as they are,
to have fun!
204. If coal is not "beaten", can it become
205. Don't forget at the "Dynamis" in the Divine
Liturgy to cross your head and your whole
body... whatever you ask at that moment is
heard. It is a very powerful moment.
206. In our lives, if we look carefully, we will
see that we learn lessons both from positive
things and negative. Whoever we find ourselves
with, even within just a few moments.
207. "Bad temper" is egoism.
208. Looking after is one thing and love
209. Instead of asking "Does this person love
me", it is better to say "I love this person".
Then everything changes. The Apostle Paul put it
210. Hour after hour I think my heart is going
to break from love.
211. Only people with an inferiority complex
want to always be bossed around.
212. Love is always on the cross. Because Christ
is on the cross.
213. When I want to feel sorry for somebody, do
you know what cheers me up? I say, "I love him
that much; God loves him ten thousand times
more. He will be fine!"
214. True fasting is to cease from all
badmouthing, self-interest, seeing the mote in
the eye of our brother, judging another's
215. When one is alone with God, the time passes
unimaginably quickly. More quickly than when you
have companionship... And yet even within the
world one can remain united with God. How? When
whatever he is doing he directs his thoughts to
Him... when whatever good comes his way he gives
Him glory... and whatever testing he meets, he
gives Him thanks.
216. I find the faith of the centurion very
217. This is our purpose on earth. To try and
live in the Kingdom of God, here. For how can we
come and leave without sensing paradise here? We
have fallen from paradise, but if we do not
return to it here, how will we win it there?
218. If someone really believes, he can never
take part in the vices or illegal things that we
see every day. For anybody who does them, has
not believed in God, has not lived Him in their
souls. But as soon as they believe in Him, they
will watch his miracles every day.
219. Be careful of people who want to upset you
and then to ask forgiveness. They take double
satisfaction. They have upset you, and you have
220. That which the world calls co-incidences, I
221. The world is even "smaller" for those who
God intends to meet.
222. Here you have an earthly father and mother
and you feel so beautiful. How much more when
you know that the Omnipotent is protecting you!
223. All those who research and "see" the
future, see everything badly, coldly and upside
down. That is to say, can't they see anything
good? Nothing? Well, then of course they suffer
evil, They attract evil by their thought.
224. In the evenings, in my prayer I say to my
angel, "Take my soul even tonight and put it at
the feet of Christ to be perfected throughout
the night, and in the morning may I find it
225. Never accept anything from a rich person.
From someone who struggles to make a living or a
poor person yes, with much gratitude.
226. The truth is One and that is Christ.
227. Many troparia describe the Nativity of
Christ in such a way that we could forget that
the Virgin conceived supernaturally. How I like
the Nativity in the Perivleptos monastery in
Mystras and the painting of Gyzis...
228. You should think about and see only the
light. Everything else is just parentheses,
which should not leave so much as a trace on
229. We often hear, "I met this man, or this
woman, and my life changed"... and we see that
in the end nothing has changed. No life. Why?
230. We come to monasticism like those sharp
rocks from a quarry which are all corners and
protrusions. Gradually by the grace of God we
become like the pebbles in a river or on the
shore which are round and smooth.
231. To equalize our freedom and our autonomy
and so that we may always have a sure
conscience, the holy Apostles and the Fathers of
our Church gave us a guide. And thank God for
that... Because the moment you ask, whether in
the middle of rocky ground, up on a mountain, in
a street which you don't know, suddenly there
you are... with two words he comes and gives you
your answer and then you know that you are all
232. I have simply been something for your
preparatory steps. If you do not stick fast to
Christ and the Church, then you will be lost,
even if in your minds you think of a person. Woe
betide him who instead of going to Christ goes
to a person.
233. The hour when you make the step, either you
do it alone or you are lost for the rest of your
234. Nobody can live in both this world and the
next. Either he will fall ill periodically or he
will die prematurely. You cannot live in two
worlds. It is not possible.
235. I like it when we say "Bless the Lord my
soul" and then afterwards the Beatitudes,
instead of "Through the intercessions" and "Save
us". That is how it used to be in
236. Those who see people in the world do not
cease to be human. They keep their humanity...
237. You can not avoid pointless "chats" unless
your thought is elsewhere. But this takes a lot
of practice. Especially when the surroundings
are friendly and dear to you.
238. Christ said, "Father forgive them, for they
know not what they do". But, who is it that does
not know what he is doing? A madman. You
239. When it is in God's programme for you to go
somewhere, you will go. That is why I am
generally quiet in life. I have observed that
even if a person does not want to, God moves
240. A woman who had been widowed said to me,
"Why would God take away from me my family?" And
I said to her, "Why don't you ask why He left
him to you for so long?" "Well OK, but there are
so many who live." "But also, how many who die
as soon as they get married. Have you ever asked
that question? You should give yourself to some
kind of work now, to forget."
241. When God wants to help someone, He can
create "children of Abraham" from these stones.
If it wasn't you, it would be somebody else. You
were the impersonal delegate of God. Woe betide
you if you think one day that this someone
should owe gratitude to you! If he comes and
thanks you, say that you ought to thank God,
because He would undoubtedly have sent somebody
anyway to help them. He sent you, consequently
you ought to thank him, and be grateful to God
for sending you.
242. Nobody "exists" unless he wants to exist.
243. Some people want to go to the Resurrection
without passing by way of Gologatha.
244. Because the Christians could not put in
practice the Gospel while living in the world,
they fled. That's how they became the first
245. Only people of God, who don't make
compromises, recognize each other.
246. My wishes: may the grace of our Christ, the
love of the omnipotent Father and the
inspiration of the Holy Spirit be with you! May
your example be the life of the Mother of God,
who will lead you at every step with her
archangels and angels as your heavenly mother;
that you love your mother who brought you into
life and brought you up, and may you give love
and joy first to her, and then to all who come
247. True prayer always reaches heaven. The
angels carry it to the right place and the
answer comes. Its basis is Truth, and "Not My
will, but that of the Father Who sent me."
248. Egoism is self-protection. A Christian's
security should be divine protection.
249. We all help ourselves in helping others.
Some indirectly, some directly.
250. The Lord said, "Forgive your enemies." It
is incomprehensible for us not to forgive our
brothers, so He didn't mention it. What right
has a person not to forgive a person? If he
doesn't, he is inhuman.
251. Love is not taught. It is given from above
when we ask with recocognition of our egoism,
which we want to shatter.
252. Do you want everything to happen as you
want it? Accept everything and everybody either
as His will, or as His concession.
253. To remember the other is an expression of
254. And so the passer-by and traveller that the
love of God has granted me to be, continues on
the way towards what is unknown to people but
known to the Lord...
255. To a novice: Be simple. Talk to everybody.
Let your spirituality be seen in your
256. No saint ever knew that he was a saint.
257. If you do not get rid of "No" and
"Tomorrow" from your life, you will never get to
where the Lord wants you, Who grants you
everything. He will give you the bodily strength
when you answer "Yes" and "Now". The prophets,
the angels and the saints all said, "Behold here
I am... Let it be according to Your word."
258. Not as you knew, but as you found.
259. Every person is 'sent'.
260. Our influence, whether for good or for ill,
takes the other person away from the destination
that God has for him. He has to realize it by
himself. This is why we have to be very careful.
261. The gifts of the Spirit are not of course
262. What we don't see, doesn't mean that it
doesn't exist. And what we don't hear, doesn't
mean that it does not speak.
263. As one of the ancients said, "don’t be deaf
to your personal “demon” "
264. Truth and light are synonymous.
265. The sermon on the mount and the epistle of
Saint James. Every day! What a pity that we do
not hear them more often...
266. When you follow the truth you are in the
light, you are with Christ. He himself said,
"The truth will make you free". But from who?
From your own self! From passion. And then, no
power will be able to enslave you because God
Himself will help with His power.
267. Our souls are Divine Breath. Our body is
His Creation. In the whole of us we are the icon
268. I am under obedience to HIM. I live and
exist for Him.
269. Before the Lord prayed... "Lifting up His
eyes to heaven..."
270. Do not darken your mind with the various
heresies and para-religions and masonries. All
these are in the "Basket of Vanity".
271. The Lord allows those who love Him to be
tested, first, so that their faith in Him may
grow stronger, and second, to set an example for
272. Don't forget in Church to always light a
candle "for the sick and for travellers".
273. Say prayer-ropes also just with "Thank
274. Have a Cross in the door and window of your
cell. It should be wooden like the one we wear.
275. We can recognize a person who has spiritual
experiences only by the way he lives and
behaves. For these experiences direct his life.
276. No fear any person.
277. It is easier to sacrifice youself for those
you love than to live with them.
278. Love means to respect the freedom of the
279. You only feel free when you are locked up.
280. Two things: care, and prayer.
281. Mildness and meekness are the weapons and
the marks of a spiritually strong person. He
"understands" everything and forgives
282. We should not become Judases, nor give the
Holy Things to the dogs... I mean the
supernatural mysteries that happen within the
sanctuary. It says in the hymn, "Not to your
283. The angels always come.
284. We can all give joy. One by coming, and
another by leaving.
285. When we are passing through a dark tunnel,
we never imagine that the other end will take us
to the light. We fall into despair, and see
everything black and dark. The same in life. The
light of Christ is waiting for us at the other
end. And saying to us, as He said to Saint
Peter, "You of little faith, why are you
286. Whenever we are in great pain, we should
not forget the great honour that the Lord is
doing us in letting us share in His crown of
287. All idiocy begins with "i(f)".
288. The fridge of the faithful should be almost
289. However much one works in a spiritual way,
one's body cannot get tired. Tiredness only
comes when the spirit gets involved. When the
spirit is continually at its "Lord Jesus Christ
have mercy on us", no amount of work can easily
make us tired.
290. Day and night let us bless God for the
gifts He gives us.
291. Few words, much love. To all. No matter who
292. Joy, calm, love, the wish we give to
everybody, if they are not accepted come back to
us and to the Lord. In other words, just as we
breathe, as our heart beats, without any act of
will on our part and without us being able to
stop it; in the same way rivers of love, of
which He is the source, should flow out of us
day and night and always... regardless of where
they go. That is His concern.
293. So many years now the Lord has granted me
to keep the first three days of Lent without
opening my mouth for food or water. I have been
able to do this because at the same time I also
294. Just as I cannot stand praying out loud, so
I cannot stand monologue, only dialogue.
295. At "Christ is risen" we leave futility
behind with Him and pass, thanks to His love,
296. There is something which is often called
"spiritual pride". But where there is pride,
there is no Spirit, in which case all that is
left is a nothing - pride.
297. To a novice: Be careful about two things.
Love, without discrimination, without
condemnation... and humility, as if you are the
slave of everybody.
298. Never expect anybody to understand you.
299. Forgive everybody and see only the light of
Christ, which one day, by the prayer of the
Mother of God and all the saints, we will
300. People tell us that which we inspire.
301. The ministry
of service should be constant. We should
continually be "forgetting" ourselves. It is not
a momentary action, it is life. It is the sign
of the presence of Christ.
302. A person lives only when he loves.
Otherwise he is a lifeless creature, with only
303. The love which binds people together, is
the greatest Divine Gift.
304. The life in God consists in "You, follow
Me." Together, you continually feel a joy, a
joy, with certainty of love and an equally
continual "Thank you" for EVERYTHING, day and
305. Jerusalem, as it says in the hymn "Shine,
shine [new Jerusalem]", enlightens us all.
Whoever goes there at the right time, will get
direction for his path.
306. He who is occupied with himself, whether
bodily or emotionally, does not have time to
occupy himself with anyone else and is not
interested. He becomes egocentric.
307. Peace to all - in this way the spirit is at
rest, the heart loves, the soul becomes calm,
the world of the Earth becomes a paradise. The
Kingdom of God inside us, and we inside His
308. Blessed are those who begin to feel that
they have become a "shadow". This is the
beginning of "non-existence".
309. Changes, great changes, inner journeys must
continue. Woe betide him who stays still like
310. Heaven is the monastery of the angels and
earth their priory (outpost).
311. We should live permanently in the joy of
312. What a beautiful song life is! And what
blessing when after a journey of many years, I
can say from 1937 to today, the invisible face
of God has never departed from beside me and
313. Few words, much love... The powers of
darkness are waiting for an opportunity. Let us
not talk, so that we do not regret it.
314. Even in this life, Christ raised us too
from the dead.
315. What a gift God gave to the world, in
sending His Son Jesus Christ.
316. The resurrection of Lazarus is the symbol
of the resurrection of our soul in the world.
317. Read one Father of the Church and only him.
318. He who does to another what he hates, is
"sent". Watch him.
319. There are people who persist, of their own
will, in destroying the bodily power that God
gave them, creating a perpetual state of
hyperactivity and overwork.
320. Evening readings do not go into the soul.
321. If we do not have boldness when the Lord
calls us, we are lost.
322. I wish that God grant you His grace, His
power and His love, so that you may be near to
those who are in need and who seek Him.
323. Where there is attunement to the will of
God, there there is prayer.
324. Don't let anything upset you; neither
people, nor reverses, nor obstacles. Christ says
to us once in a while, "I received this command
from My Father," and proceeds with the certainty
that He is fulfilling the will of His Father,
however difficult and tough, and however much
hatred He encounters.
325. Children are not black or white or red or
yellow in the eyes of God. They are souls which
God produced through His heart like drops of
blood. Who can say which drop is worth the most?
326. When we want to help someone, half of
ourself must be assimilated to them. The other
half, even in the face of objections, will be
able to find the right solution.
327. God works in eternity. Not in the hurry of
our temporary life. Everything will happen as
and when He wants.
328. I hope you are always in a position for God
to use you in His work.
329. Love of neighbour according to God, joy,
and calm, are acquired by continuous prayer.
330. What these days we call "down", does not
happen to a person who is called faithful.
Because he is united with the love of God.
331. Don't listen to what they say. Look at what
332. At the end of the day, ask your guardian
angel to take from your thought everybody you
have seen, but also you from everybody's
thoughts. Otherwise you cannot pray correctly.
Say to him, "My guardian angel, bless them all
and remove their thoughts from mine.
333. When we are conversing with a person, we
are conversing with our guardian angel at the
same time, and the silent and invisible listener
is Christ. Never forget it.
334. I always remember what one of my Abbots
once said to me: Your mind to God, your hand to
335. If we are asked, you or I or anybody, where
we come from, we will say in reply, not
Athenians, Constantinopolitans, whatever... but
citizens of heaven! Even if we have't yet ever
been up there. [They are auspicious words.]
336. Only when an Abbot or Abbess is at rest in
their souls, can those under obedience find
337. The greatest Christmas present we can give
to Christ is ourselves.
338. How valuable are little and simple things.
339. The birds make a chain round the whole
Earth. Wherever you go, they remind you of the
same things. The cuckoo shouts to you, "Get up,
get up!" The peacock reminds us, "Pilgrims,
pilgrims", so that we don't forget that we are
just passing pilgrims on His Earth. And the rook
cries, "Pray, pray!".
340. The God-sent Mother of the Apostles, true
Mother of God we magnify You.
341. Somebody said, "When you are conformed to
the world, you are deformed. Only when you meet
God are you transformed."
342. Just imagine if "volunteer" angels are
hidden within incurable psychopathic patients...
just to test our love...
343. You cannot be a Christian without loving
everybody the same. Both those of your own and
other faiths. Both of your own and other
religions, and nationalities. We are not
responsible for where we are born...
344. Thank God that I know the whole Gospel and
can now carry it around in my mind and recite it
all day... (two months before her death)
345. All this "mine" is for this world. In the
other one there is only "Yours". "You, Lord",
"You, All-good one", "You, Compassionate one",
"You, Miracle-worker", "You, the Guide of our
346. Christ is the Original.
347. The Apostles were all together. But when
the Beloved left, they separated. The same with
you; that is how it ought to be. To enlighten
the world with the bits of light you get from
Christ. And like them, to spread it that Christ
is the resurrection of the living and the
departed. (a few days before she departed)
348. The years go by, we too go by, and only a
pure soul can remain in the hands of the angels
who He will send to receive it.
349. Read Isaac the Syrian.
350. Don't be concerned what people will say to
you or do to you.
351. Marriage is love, affection, friendship. It
is not "sex". "Sex" is something anti-divine
because it is "of this world". It has no
relation to the soul.
352. Couples should not try to "attract" each
other through jealousy. Jealousy is from Satan.
353. The sacrament of marriage is a sacrament
like baptism. If you are not "born again" within
the other's heart, and the other in your heart,
it is as if God is absent. Of course He is
present, but he sees you and sorrows. He cannot
help you, because you have shut Him out, without
354. But above all I thank Him that He directs
everything, guides everything, loves everybody
and everything and has sent into my life only
355. Always obey your conscience. Your
conscience is from God.
356. Forget everything. Be united with Him in
prayer. And then, you will be get messages and
will know the way...
357. Together with Him we conquer all.
358. We should not be proud because we
supposedly help people. We don't help anybody.
He is the Helper, He is the Guide, if we adhere
to Him and He guides us.
359. God does not want us split. Either we love
Him, or the "world". We cannot have one foot in
the "world" and the other in the Church.
360. At the "sound" of Him we should, like the
Samaritan woman, leave the "pitcher". That is
the only way God can help.
361. When our health gives us a knock, it is a
message that we should stop something.
362. Beware of fame. It is not what God wants.
363. When it comes to health, a saying goes,
"One doctor is advice, two doctors are
confusion. Three doctors are... a graveyard."
The same holds for spiritual matters. One
spiritual father is from God. A second is
confusion. A third, the loss of your soul!
364. Our purpose is to begin eternity here and
now... for the Lady of All to receive us there
above with the ranks of angels... and for us to
live eternally in the light of Christ.
365. Just as the law of nature cannot endure a
vacuum, so when we empty ourselves completely,
the Holy Spirit rushes inside us, like a
366. Don't associate with company among which
you would not like God to see you.
There are some people who deprive us of solitude
without offering us companionship.
367. There are some people who deprive us of
solitude without offering us companionship.
368. Love the other without judging him, just as
He presents him and as He loves him. Then God
will help you and will overlook your own
369. To a woman in mourning: Above all, give up
all "material" recollections and expectations.
370. For somebody to love really and deeply, he
must not allow his body to interfere. Love is
never forgotten when it is elevated to that
371. Follow your path and don't let anything
bother you. Keep your ears open and don't be
impatient. Many years must pass and we must be
tested before we can acquire patience.
372. Lord, I beg you, do not allow me ever to
have my own will. Do Your own will in me.
However difficult it may seem to me, it will be
easy because it will be Yours!
373. God is free, and love dwells within
374. Love of money leads to hell, because the
man who loves money steals.
375. He who loves can only do beautiful things.
376. I do not have to know you. I have to love
377. I am not "intellectual". I am simply happy
to be alive and to love Him and everybody.
378. Photographs and graves are such sad and
pitiable things when the generation that loved
them has gone...
379. How do we dare to ignore and disobey the
will of God and do what we consider human duty?
Can't we see that our health is impaired? The
words duty and obligation do not exist in the
Gospel. We owe them only to God. Otherwise we
become like the millions of dead in this world.
380. Do not ever get tied to anybody anywhere
except Christ alone, and go wherever the Holy
Spirit leads you, bringing His love to ALL,
beyond frontiers and discrimination. Your
destination is to love! That is what I was once
told by my Abbot Fr Lev, and that is what I say
381. Indulgence during Lent causes illness, and
illness brings sluggishness.
382. Always forwards. Even at a tortoise space.
383. You feel freedom when the behaviour of
others does not bother you and you forgive them.
384. Love does acrobatics in people's hearts.
385. The person has not yet been born who will
make me upset...
386. We should not be interested in other
people's response or what results we have. Our
“job” is simply to try - the rest God will do.
387. It is pain that allows freedom.
388. Come - be silent.
Everywhere are people of God. You never know if
the one you see today might tomorrow be a saint.
And the Mother said . . .
Only one thing do I know that I have always,
and it is not pride, nor fantasy, but that which
I have day and night, wherever I find
myself--three things: first, Faith; second,
Faith; third, Faith. That’s all! Nothing else
can I say to you. It has directed all my life.
When we believe and someone says, “Do you want
to come to Lebanon with me?” I say, “Yes.”
“How do you say Yes to everything?”
I say yes because I believe that if it is not
for my good God will make it so that the "No"
will come from the very one who invited me. Some
paper will not be ready, or something will
Today I am ninety years old--may you live so
long! I read again and again and again in the
Gospels, and I see something strange. Jesus
Christ comes and says to the Apostles, “Leave
now what you have and follow Me.”
Now, if they said, “And who are you? Why should
we lose what we have? Why should we lose our
profit? Where will you take us? What will you do
with us?”--if they had said that, what would
have happened? They would have remained in
They said Yes to some Unknown who came and said,
“Throw all that away!” Why? Because they
believed in God, and they waited for the One who
would say to them, “Come!” And that was the
Because if we say No, what will happen? . . .
One or the other: If you believe, you will walk
on the water like St. Peter. If you are scared--Bloop!
Through all my life it has been like that. They
called me to the strangest and most distant
place in India. One night they sent me a
message: “Come and see someone who is sick.” We
started out in an ox cart driven by some
shepherd boy. And as we were going up the
mountain in the forest, what do I see above us?
Two eyes shining, a tiger. What do you say then?
“Lord have mercy on me, and may Your will be
done on earth as it is in heaven.”
So I closed my eyes and saw that written within
me. Because He said to us, “Why do you worry?
Why do you worry? Even the hairs of your head
are numbered!” Why worry? Faith is lacking. May
we have faith.
Again, Mother said . . .
Once when I was there where I was, some
foreign missionary came and said to me, “You may
be a good woman, but you’re not a good
I said, “Why?”
“Because you have been here so long and you only
go about speaking English. What local languages
have you learned?”
I said to him, “I haven’t managed to learn any
of the local languages, because I travel a great
deal from place to place. As soon as I learn one
dialect, they start speaking another. I’ve only
learned ‘Good morning’ and ‘Good evening.’
“Bah, you’re no Christian. How can you
evangelize? All the Catholics and Protestants
learn all the local dialects in order to . . .”
Then I said, “Lord, give me an answer for him.”
I asked it with all my heart, and then I said,
“Ah. I forgot to tell you. I know five
“Really? What are these five?”
“The first is the smile; the second is
tears. The third is to touch. The
fourth is prayer, and the fifth is
love. With these five languages I go all
around the world.”
Then he stopped and said, “Just a minute. Say
that again so I can write it down.”
With these five languages you can travel the
whole earth, and all the world is yours. Love
everyone as your own--without concern for
religion or race, without concern for anything.